General info and Vat number
Tel: +27 (012) 305 4911
Fax: +27 (012) 305 3111
Registered Company Name : The South African Nuclear Energy Corporation SOC Ltd
Date of Incorporation: 24 February 2000
Trading Name: Necsa
SA company registration number: 2000/003735/06
VAT-registration number: 4950106064
Physical and postal address of business:
P.O Box 582
Elias Motsoaledi Street Extension (Church Street West)
Brits Magisterial District
North West Province
Necsa Organisational Structure Oct 2013
Necsa Organisational Structure.pdf
Necsa on DoE website
In terms of Section 13 of the Nuclear Energy Act, No. 46 of 1999, the South African Nuclear Energy Corporation SOC Limited (Necsa) is mandated to:
- Undertake and promote research and development (R & D) in the field of nuclear energy and radiation sciences and technology and, subject to the Safeguards Agreement, to make these generally available.
- Process source material, special nuclear material and restricted material and to reprocess and enrich source material and nuclear material; and
- Co-operate with any person or institution in matters falling within these functions, subject to the approval of the Minister.
To pursue nuclear technology excellence for sustainable social and economic development
To develop, utilise and manage nuclear technology for national and regional socio-economic development through:
- Applied R&D;
- Commercial application of nuclear and associated technology;
- Fulfilling the State’s nuclear obligations;
- Contributing to the development of skills in science and technology;
- Total commitment to health, safety and care for the environment;
- Developing and empowering our human resource base; and
- Satisfying stakeholder expectations.
Necsa is a state-owned company responsible for undertaking and promoting R&D in the field of nuclear energy and radiation sciences. It is also responsible for processing source material, including uranium enrichment, and co-operating with other institutions, locally and abroad, on nuclear and related matters.
Apart from its main activities at Pelindaba, which include operation and utilisation of the SAFARI-1 research reactor, Necsa also manages and operates the Vaalputs National Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility in the Northern Cape on behalf of the National Radioactive Waste Disposal Institute (NRWDI).
Necsa engages in commercial business mainly through its wholly-owned commercial subsidiaries NTP Radioisotopes SOC Ltd (NTP), which is responsible for a range of radiation-based products and services for healthcare, life sciences and industry, and Pelchem SOC Ltd (Pelchem), which supplies fluorine and fluorine-based products. Both subsidiaries, together with their subsidiaries, supply local and foreign markets, earning valuable foreign exchange for South Africa.
In addition to the above, the Company promotes the public understanding of nuclear science and technology and facilitates regular communication with the public and its stakeholders.
On 13 Aug 1944, the United Kingdom first requested South Africa’s assistance in obtaining uranium for the Manhattan project. After World War II, interest in the extraction of uranium oxide continued from the USA and UK for both military and peaceful purposes. This led to the establishment in Feb 1946 of the “Uranium Research Committee” and in Sep 1948, the South African Atomic Energy Board (AEB) was constituted. Following international developments in nuclear power and radioisotope applications, construction of the National Nuclear Research Centre, including the SAFARI-1 Research Reactor, started at Pelindaba in 1961.
In 1970, the Uranium Enrichment Corporation (UCOR) was created and tasked to establish a nuclear fuel cycle programme at Valindaba, adjacent to the then Pelindaba site. The ostensible aim was to investigate the feasibility of nuclear explosives for peaceful applications. However, in 1977 the emphasis changed to a strategic nuclear weapons deterrent capability and in November 1979 the first nuclear device was equipped with highly enriched uranium.
Application of the nuclear fuel cycle technologies to civilian nuclear power generation started with construction of the “Z” Enrichment Plant in 1978. A fuel element manufacturing facility for Koeberg Nuclear Power Station started production in 1987.
Meanwhile, the Nuclear Energy Act of 1982 renamed the AEB to NUCOR and combined it with UCOR under the Atomic Energy Corporation (AEC) as controlling body. On 1 July 1985, the NUCOR and UCOR subsidiaries were combined into the Atomic Energy Corporation.
Dismantling of the nuclear deterrent capability started in 1989 while the civilian nuclear fuel cycle services proved uncompetitive post 1994. In 1999, the current Nuclear Energy Act transitioned the AEC to the South African Nuclear Energy Corporation – Necsa.